Friday, January 8, 2010

Curry Prawns

I love getting prawn drunk.

I just love prawns and it's not surprising if my cholesterol level shoots up during this pregnancy. I buy my prawns at very economical prices at Geylang wet market. (1kg @ $6.50 or less!!)

And mind you, they are as fresh as ever ok!! I would never waste my trip to Geylang market (at least once a month) for just a kilo of prawns. A minimum of 2 kg of prawns, 2 whole chickens or a kilo of beef and spices from my favourite Achi Rempah Jambu (yes! very pretty! her makeup stays put even after a whole day at the market!!) would I then consider my trip worthwhile. And of course, the 2nd floor, the food heaven, is the other reason. Hehe.

Ok, so here's my recipe to one of my favourite dish. Goes very well together with plain rice alone but for more flavour, with butter rice. :D

Ingredients

oil for frying prawns
olive oil
1 tbsp butter
I kg of prawns (Cleaned but do not remove the head and shell)
Curry leaves
About 1 cup of fish curry powder
minced garlic (i love lots of it)
1 large onion (sliced in rings)
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
2 cloves
some water
some salt and sugar to taste

Method

  1. Just like the Cereal Prawns recipe, fry the prawns (seasoned with salt and pepper) in hot oil and quickly take them out as soon as they turn colour. Do not overfry the prawns.


  2. Put the prawns aside.


  3. Heat the butter and pour in another tbsp of olive oil so that the butter doesn't get burnt.


  4. When it's hot enough, add in the garlic, curry leaves, cinnamon, star anise and cloves till fragrant.


  5. Add in the onions till they become soft


  6. Add in the curry powder and some water (do not add too much water as the recipe calls for a dry dish/ thick gravy)


  7. Add in the prawns under low heat.


  8. Add in salt and sugar to taste.

:D

Best eaten HOT.



No comments:

Post a Comment